Many people fail to see the benefits of a straightened smile beyond the superficial. While it is true that a straight smile looks great, there are many other benefits that come with it! For instance, did you know that straight teeth are easier to clean? This means that you are less likely to develop cavities, gum disease, and other problems with your teeth. Additionally, straight teeth can also improve your bite, making it easier to eat and speak while minimizing pressure on the jaw joints. Finally, a straight smile can also boost your confidence, making you feel better about yourself in social and professional settings.
Unfortunately, far too often, patients forego orthodontic treatment because they do not want to wear traditional braces. However, there is another option that can give you the same great results without the brackets and wires: Invisalign!
Invisalign is a revolutionary treatment that uses clear, removable aligners to gradually straighten your teeth. If you are interested in learning more, please contact our Washington, DC office today to schedule a free consultation. We would be happy to answer any of your questions and help you determine if Invisalign is right for you.
The Invisalign® Process
So you’ve decided to straighten your smile with Invisalign. That’s great! We can’t wait to get started. To begin the process, we would love to invite you to our office for a free consultation!
- During your consultation, we start by discussing your goals, identifying your needs, and taking impressions with our iTero scanner. The iTero scanner is a 3D imaging system that allows us to take precise, digital impressions of your teeth. These impressions are then sent to Invisalign, which uses them to create your custom treatment plan and aligners.
- Once your aligners and treatment plan are ready, you will come back to our office to pick them up and get started on your new smile! We will go over all the details of your plan once you arrive.
- Every two weeks or so, you will switch to a new set of aligners as your teeth gradually begin to shift into place.
- You will also need to visit our office roughly every six weeks for progress checks. These appointments allow us to monitor your treatment and make any necessary changes.
- Once your teeth are in their desired position, you will need to wear a retainer to keep them there! Wearing a retainer is vital to maintaining your new smile.
While Invisalign is an exceptionally flexible and straightforward treatment option, it is essential that you wear your aligners for at least 22 hours each day, removing them only to eat, drink, brush, and floss. This keeps you on track for a straighter smile in no time!
Benefits of Invisalign®
One of the most obvious benefits of Invisalign is the appearance of the aligner—or should we say, lack of appearance. Because Invisalign’s aligners are clear, they are virtually invisible. So, while you are busy straightening your teeth, no one has to know.
Other benefits of Invisalign treatment include:
- The ability to eat whatever you want. There are no food restrictions with Invisalign, as there are with traditional braces. You can eat all of your favorite foods without worrying.
- The ability to brush and floss normally. Traditional braces make it difficult to keep your teeth clean, as food and plaque can get stuck in the brackets and wires. With Invisalign, you can brush and floss normally to maintain optimal dental hygiene.
- Fewer office visits. Because Invisalign treatment is completely computer-generated, you won’t need to come into the office as often. This means less time off from work or school.
- Invisalign is comfortable. The aligners are made of smooth plastic, so they won’t irritate your gums or cheeks the way metal braces can.
Am I a Candidate?
Invisalign is capable of correcting a wide variety of dental issues, but not every patient is a good candidate for treatment. Some of the most common reasons patients are unsuitable for Invisalign include the following:
- Severely misaligned teeth. Invisalign is best suited for patients with mild to moderate dental misalignment. If your teeth are severely misaligned, you may need traditional braces or another type of orthodontic treatment to achieve the desired results.
- Poor dental hygiene. Invisalign is not an effective treatment option for patients who have poor dental hygiene. If you do not brush and floss your teeth regularly, plaque and tartar can build up on your teeth and gums, which can lead to gum disease.
- Underlying dental issues. If you have any underlying dental issues, such as cavities or gum disease, Invisalign may not be the best treatment option for you. These issues need to be addressed before starting treatment in order to ensure that your teeth and gums are healthy enough to tolerate treatment.
If you believe you may be a candidate for Invisalign treatment, the best way to find out for sure is to consult with our providers. We will be able to evaluate your individual case and let you know if Invisalign is right for you.